Prince William and Kate Middleton visit London Ukraine centre
Sign up for FREE now and never miss the top royal stories again
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Putin has invaded Ukraine and waged a bloody war on the country for the past two weeks. To show solidarity, the Duke of Cambridge visited the Ukrainian Cultural Centre in London. But comments he made have been met with backlash. He said: “Britons were more used to seeing conflict in Africa and Asia. It’s very alien to see this in Europe. We are all behind you.”
Meghan Markle fans have hit out at the Duke. Co-author of royal book, Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family, and staunch Sussex supporter Omid Scobie said he was “unsurprised” to see the backlash against Prince William’s “ignorant remark.” One member of the Sussex Squad, MarkleDuchess, wrote on Twitter: “Prince William’s own mother visited Bosnia in 1997, shortly before her death. Are you telling me he wasn’t aware of the war and genocide that was raging on at that time?”
Another prominent supporter of Meghan, Dr Shola, wrote: “Prince William’s comments are deeply offensive. He must apologise.” The Arab and Middle Eastern Journalists Association also condemned comments like this. They said last week: “It dehumanises and renders their experience with war as somehow normal and expected… civilian casualties and displacement in other countries are equally as abhorrent as they are in Ukraine.”
FOLLOW BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES…
Royal Family LIVE: Furious Meghan Markle fans slam William after ‘ignorant remark’ (Image: GETTY)
Prince William leaves BAFTA ‘very disappointed’ as Duke snubs awards in London
The Duke of Cambridge, 39, declined an invitation to attend the show at the Royal Albert Hall in London on Sunday due to “diary constraints”. The move reportedly left bosses “very disappointed” that the president of the academy would not be in attendance.
A pre-recorded message from the Duke will be played on the night instead.
A source told The Mirror: “Prince William is always a huge draw, not least as it’s the first year back in person after the pandemic.
“But BAFTA were told that diary constraints precluded him from attending in person this year. It’s such a shame and everyone is very disappointed.”
Prince William was to deliver a video speech at last year’s virtual ceremony, which praised the film industry’s resilience amid Covid.
He was also scheduled to lead a pre-recorded conversation.
However, he pulled out following the death of his grandfather Prince Philip.
The TV source added: “That was, of course, totally understandable. But everyone expected him to attend this year and the fact he is not, is most unfortunate.
“The purpose of the academy’s annual awards is “to recognise, honour and reward individuals for outstanding achievement in feature films released in the UK within the awards year”.
Good morning I’m Rachel Hagan, I’ll be bringing you all the latest developments on the royals for the next eight hours. Please feel free to get in touch with me as I work if you have a story or tips to share! Your thoughts are always welcome.